Tuesday, January 8, 2013

To Resolve or Not to Resolve, That Is the Question

The New Year...time for planning, setting goals, and, dare I say, make resolutions. I heard a funny story yesterday. Some TV show was reading resolutions from their audience, my favorite was from an 80 year old. "Been there. Done that. I'm all over that." Ah, with age, does come wisdom.

But resolutions do have their worth. They give us goals and plans for the year. I find it works best for me if I keep them small and specific. For several years I've changed my annual weight loss goal from "lose 100 pounds," to meet next Christmas 15 lbs lighter." This strategy has worked for the last 2 years, so I'm keeping it. By the time I'm 80 I will have been there, done that. Ta Dum! Small steps.

Last year I joined the blogging movement and chose a word to frame my business and goals. "Forward." It was a good mantra for me. Often I get stuck in the quick sand of broken goals. Many of you know the drill.  A stumble leads to giving up. For instance as I plan my year and pick what shows I want to do, I dream of new audiences from some of the bigger venues. When I'm rejected by the planners, I fall apart. I give up on the dream. By reminding myself of the simple word, FORWARD, last year I didn't fall on my face. When rejected I used it as an opportunity to rethink and retool but in a forward direction, maybe diagonal but forward. Small steps.

This year I'm borrowing from Kelly Lefky, That's Mrs Mediocrity to You. She posted a picture and blog that spoke to me. "Blossom."

turn your face
 to the sky
 and blossom

So that's my goal word - blossom. Since I love flowers. Relish watching spring blooms. Work with flowered fabrics. It makes sense for me on so many levels. Business wise and personally I want this to be a year when my petals unfold in splendor. Sappy!!! Yes, yes, yes. But I'm loving the image of growth and beauty. It is going to be a good year.

 
 


No comments: