Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Things I Loved about 2010


It was a good year here at my household filled with lovely moments! I feeel the necessity to recall the highs; to remember and record the why of a successful 2010.


First was the successful Wilmington Flower Market in May. Annarella Girl clothes sold well. Excitingly there were many return customers full of praise for dresses and skirts lovingly worn throughout the year. And a suprising number of mothers who were pregnant in 2009 and came to find me with their new babies. Of course they bought something. It was a real lovefest!! For those readers who are crafters you know how great it is when people praise your work and call you genius...absolutely sublime! I am compelled to repeat Sally Fields memorable Oscar acceptance speech. "You love me. You really love me!"


Finding Mam D's has been great. Jennifer D and her Mom have given Annarella Girl a home. And just as important, they have given me someone to bounce ideas around with, advice on sewing techniques and goals to share in growing my business. Although my family tries to be attentive when I babble on about a slight change in design or a new show to try, I can see their eyes glaze over after a minute or two. Mama Ds allow me to explore ideas with endless enthusiasm. Thanks!


Last summer founded Grammy's Summer Camp, or so I like to call it. My grandchildren are getting old enough to spend days at a time with me. Luckily I have the greatest grandchildren in the world who enjoy being with each other so hosting them is easy. We saw some movies, played on water slides, went to the library, and built forts. We all had a good time doing a lot of nothing special. The older ones took care of the younger ones. Clean up was a team activity. I gained a greater respect for just how wonderful and unique they were. What fun!!


Over Labor Day weekend all of my siblings and spouses, some of their children and grandchildren spent 4 days on the Red River in Maryland. It is an all too rare event for us to be together at the same time as we are spread out all over the country. So it was a very special time. I loved those early morning coffees overlooking the river waiting for the eagles to appear. Quiet talk and laughs as we caught up with each others lives. More talk and mental exercize over the jigsaw puzzle - always a gathering place. We ate very well, but no crabs. I could wax on melodic over what an intelligent, good looking, funny and talented family we are, but a wise sibling suggested it was because we were so distant from each other that I was allowed to hold on to my illusions of extraordinariness. Ah well, isn't that what family suppose to do, bring you back down to earth? Despite his cynicism, for weeks, months and onto today I hug close the loving memories of this family reunion.


Sadly October brought the death of my mother-in-law, Ethel Curtis Skross. I got to spend a lot of time with her in the last weeks. Good memories.I talked and talked even when she was incapable of answering but felt we were sharing memories. She lived a long life and saw many changes in her world. I admired her energy and spirit of fun. May she be dancing in heaven!!!


A girls week in Naples, Florida was a treat. When you can be with old friends who know and accept all your ugly "warts," it is better than any spa. I left their company feeling as well as one can possibly be after a glorious week of doing nothing but relaxing.


Finally, it was a happy Christmas here. Three children with spouses and six grandchildren filled my house and heart with love and laughter. Since everyone pitches in with the meal shopping, planning and cooking, I'm never over worked. Even the cleaning and decorating was handled by the husband. so it was a most relaxed holiday! What fun to share in everyone's excitement opening and then using the presents.


So in retrospect I see my year was restful and loving. Yeah!!! I have high hopes that 2011 will be more of the same.
(Above - sundress, size 3, mix of old and new fabrics.)

No comments: