Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Blogs for Thought

This week 3 very different bloggers have given me food for thought. First, just for some fun, Jane of Seven of discusses favorite films, especially the ones she, family and friends use as deal breakers. You know, the ones that are tests to see if the new people in your life are on the same wave length as you. The ones that if someone does not like them, you look at that person differently. Read her blog she puts it so much better than I.

So here is my list. I put it out in no particular order but with the hope you maybe can connect with one or two. Or let me know what your favorites are.
1. Shirley Valentine - as a woman growing up in the beginnings of the woman's movement this film holds special relevance for me. The story of finding courage to change and love held me in thrall - oh the possibilities!

2. The Commitments - Irish soul. Magnificent sound track!

3. A Chorus Line - not sure why I love this but everytime I see it is playing on TV I find myself sinking into the story and dance. Hold onto the dream!

4. Little Women (1949) - this was the first movie I remember seeing. I fell in love with the characters, Meg, boyish Jo, gentle Beth and Amy. What a strong cast it had. Elizabeth Taylor, June Allyson, Janet Leigh, Margaret O"Brien and Peter Lawford. It's, also, good fun to watch the 1933 version with Katherine Hepburn as Jo. Alternately, I read all of Louisa May Alcott's books over and over when I was 8 and up. This was my first look at the possibilities for young women. I could be a teacher, a writer , a mother, and a wife. I could have it all!

5. Gone with the Wind - hokey, maudlin and a good cry.

6. To Kill a Mockingbird - eloquent and still relevant.

7. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - don't we all remember a teacher like Ben Stein's character? Silly but filled with authentic coming of age moments and dreams.

There are so many more - Pink Panther, most of the Monty Python movies, ET. and Saving Private Ryan. I could go on and on.

So what movies are special for you?

I've run out of time for today so will write about other blogs tomorrow.

No comments: