Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Well, actually, this is about an old dog relearning. Aren't there some lessons that we have to relearn periodically?

Had a wonderful day on Sunday with son, J, and his family. Amazing how my grandchildren are growing up. The 12 year old girl has a mind of her own and is beginning to share it with all of us. I find the outlook and opinions of teens to be insightful, idealistic and interesting. She has never been one to share freely; so it is a special gift when she does. The boys, 9 & 6, enjoy the outdoors, running playing army and rough housing on the water slide. Vicariously, I spend endless hours in the sun with them.


So what's the trick? When it comes to holidays. in our house, food is very important. We feasted on brisket and ribs, potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, and more. For dessert I made strawberry shortcake, my hubs favorite with real shortcakes, lots of fresh strawberries and real whipped cram. Oh, yum!!!! Now for the teaching moment. When we started to assemble the special treat for the kids...one wanted no whipped cream, one wanted no shortcake, and one wanted only shortcake. The adults tried despertely hard, too hard, to sell the dessert with all parts together. It ended up with noone being real happy or enjoying the "treat." It would have been so satisfying if I had mixed up a batch of brownies from a box for the kids. I forgot the first lesson in feeding kids, "keep it simple."


Brownies from a box, cubed watermelon, chocolate chip cookies, these are te favorite desserts for my grandkids. Why did I try to glam up the final course? Next time it will be back to the basics for the kids. Thanks to Ivy, Jack and Hudson for reminding me that the simple  life is rewarding.


No comments: