Friday, April 20, 2012

Earth Love

Annarella Girl is dedicated toward making our garments earth friendly. How,? you ask. I am weary of living in a disposable world. Torn, shoddily made with cheap materials became the norm as fueled by discount stores and big box, low priced warehouse stores. By wielding huge buying power, they demanded impossible standards for manufacturers. Quality was lost in the process. When I started Annarella Girl I wanted to make garments that lasted through many washings, much playing. Ocasiionally, I question my dedication to sturdiness, it does take longer to make a dress with all seams finished and more fabric for self-faced ruffles and bodices. After a show where I hear one too many times - "I (or my mom) can do this for a lot less," I think maybe I'm the only one who cares. Just churn it out, cut corners, who cares? But I can't bring myself to do this. I want the garment to have a long history, to be passed down to younger girls, to end up being sent to a resale store where it can make another little girl happy. It's an heirloom dress with a long life for several happy girls. That's  my dream. Ending up in many closets and out of landfill.

Happy earth day!!!!!

No comments: