Thursday, April 19, 2012

American Bandstand, Shirtwaist Dress and Penny Loafers

When I heard Dick Clark had died, I immediately flashed back to my teens. My high school years were spent in Wilmington, Delaware. At that time it took an hour to drive to Philadelphia, but only an instant each afternoon after school. Just a click of the on button and my friends and I were in Philly with Justine and Bob dancing on American Bandstand with Dick Clark and the regulars. Following all the current moves, teen romances, singing idols. Our uniform was the cotton shirtwaist dress with Peter Pan collar anchored by a circle pin and loafers with a shiny penny. Or in the winter a twin set in pastel colors with a strand of pearls. This was styling with Dick. He understood what music we wanted to hear and what was cooool! Philly was the center for awhile with Frankie Avalon, Fabian, and the Four Seasons. It was a less complicated time Less angry. Less mean. He was our shepherd through adolescence. He was a trusted  adult who understood how the music of the day spoke to us and for us.

I moved  on, grew up, fell in love with the music of the 60's and 70's, but my roots were planted in American Bandstand wearing my shirtwaist dress and penny loafers. Thanks, Dick Clark, for being such a positive part of my youth.

No comments: