Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Thoughts



Hello, autumn. Not usually my favorite season, but this year cool weather is welcome. For 2 mornings in a row, the dog and I have walked with a spring in our step because the humidity was so much lower. Loving it!!!


Labor Day marks the end of summer and beginning of school. All of my grandchildren are happy to return to see old friends, meet new teachers and enter into a new routine. For Drew going into 5th grade not all his teachers are new. He will have his mom for several subjects. Both Drew and mom are excited.


I'm so proud of my daughter, the teacher. Her school has a classical curriculum. All subjects are interconnected so that while the history lesson is about colonial times, the math word problems are framed in the same time period as is the music, reading etc. It makes sense. I've seen my 3 Houston grandkids blossom, love going to school and relish learning.


This year the 3 Georgetown grands are entering a new charter school which is an IB program. I can't wait to see how they like it. Two of my children were exposed to an IB (International Baccalaureate) program. We found that the studies encouraged real thought and creativity. And I loved that in the high school years they picked areas of interest in which they concentrated, dug deep and ended with a huge project. Yet they still took some regular classes, too.


So back to school for all. Long drop off and pick up lines. Uniforms. Homework. For me I'm working on a colonial dress for my daughter to wear to school. Maybe a bunch of mop caps for all her girls. Loving it!




Begin and finish with autumn's palette. Imagine dresses over a long sleeve shirt and leggings. Warm and comfy. Cute for playground or church.

No comments: