Monday, June 22, 2009

Procrastination, thy name is Ellie


I was going to post my battle with procrastination last week, but.... I know it sounds like a joke, but this is how it went.


I'd get up every am, make my coffee and then start to work in my workroom. Sounds good so far, but then I'd watch a little Today Show while I'd think what I would do that day. Then I'd check my emails. Then I'd watch the beginning of Live with Regis and Kelly. Then I'd play a game on the computer. Then with a fresh cup of coffee I'd sew while I watched The View. Then I'd check my emails. Then I'd watch some court shows while I thought about what I was going to do. That's how my day progressed. Little progress made on concrete projects, of which I have plenty, lots of thinking about what I should be doing. And for a break from all that heavy thinking, mindless game playing on the computer. I almost forgot I intersperse all this with eating and reading. And on and on and on.

I'm caught up on all my special orders. What I need is a deadline to race against. Not this nebulous "should be doing" stuff. I know that later on this summer I'll wish I'd been more productive during this quiet period. On the other hand I think a little bit of "spinning wheels time" is good. I find myself mentally working on some new color combinations. Today I laid a new one out on my table to live with for a day or two.

So what do you do when you're procrastinating?
I hope I'll be back this week. If not you know that I haven't slain the beast I call procrastination.

No comments: