Monday, April 1, 2013

Ordinary Heroes

Who are the heroes in your life? Are they sports stars? Or film stars? Tv stars? Reality stars? Politicians? Leaders?

My heroes are from the ordinary. Those who live their lives with an eye to helping others. People who raise the next generations with hope and optimism. Men and women who work daily at living their best lives while constantly learning and improving. I draw from my family, friends, acquaintances and neighbors for my heroes list.

My parents - how lucky I have been to have them as examples of how to be caring, thinking, curious humans. From them I learned to appreciate the sunrise and sunset; books are a window into different cultures, countries and worlds; you should never stop learning, asking questions, discovering; everyone deserves to be respected; music, art, poetry are the foods for our souls, our humanity. Although they would laugh at being called heroes, to me they are superman and woman; Zeus and Hera. They lived life, raised 5 children, moved at least 10 times while maintaining a zest for the new and an appreciation for the old. Now that is a hero!

Mom and Dad, thank you for the gifts of respect and wonder. I'm doing my best to pass them on to my children and grandchildren.

No comments: