Saturday, February 21, 2009

Catching Up Part 2

Tyson Skross has added some new work to his website.

Although still working in landscapes the mix of abstract and realism is striking. Here we see a striking contrast, perhaps conflict, between soft shapes and stark colors. There is so much to absorb that we see more each time we look. Is it a cityscape? Are we on mountains looking down? Is he playing with us? Perhaps daring us to look at the world from a different angle?again realism is playing off against the abstract. Are the craggy mountains in the cube or are they seen through a rip in the universe?More mountains. here he plays with the perspective. The distant is clear but we question just what is the foreground. Bright in the far and dark in the near. We could be going under the earth or into some ruins. Our eye is unsettled by the pull of light and dark, foreground and background. And it seems to be very purposeful. What do you think?

I'm having fun returning over and over to this new work. Questioning myself and my perceptions. Tyson is pushing me to expand my eyes. I think I can hear him softly chuckling as I try to make sense out of his sensibilities.

Check out the rest of his new works and how it compares to his previous pieces. Read his new statement which is in the "words" section of his website and talks about these new pieces. Let me know what you think.

No comments: