Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Life as a Pinball Machine

Today, I'm like a pinball machine. (Am I dating myself? Do they even exist in today's internet world?) I am zinging from one thought to another; bumping off one chore to another; careening around a creation. Now that doesn't sound too bad, but (insert a pause here) the result is energy spent without getting anything completed.

Why? Because I have several projects going at the same time. Dresses cut out and waiting for the sewing machine. A new design on my mind. A project for Georgetown's new art center. So my ducks are not in a row. (Someday I'm going to compose a post made up of as many cliches as possible.) (See I digress proving my point that I'm all over the place.)

The cure. I'm taking Butler to the dog park. After a cloudy, sprinkley morning, the sun is shining. We need to soak up some of it. Such a small thing. What I really wish I could do, is to climb in the car and drive. I fantasize about a trip to Tennessee to my sister. I can picture the roads through east Texas with its rolling hills and pine forests. Then through Arkansas with its swooping curves carved around Memphis. And then the endless width of Tennesee that is not too exciting except that it brings me closer to my destination. Mentally I'm packing my sewing machine, threads, scissors and pinking shears. I have with me my patterns and a few fabrics. We will sew, talk, eat, drink and sew for a couple of days. It may not sound like a break to you; but it would be a dream renewal for me.

Enough of that. Pull back my lever and send another ball on its way. Off to the dog park. Run an errand. Rack up some points as I flip flop between dream and reality.

Hey, that's what I'll call my game - Chasing a Dream.

No comments: